Monday, June 20, 2011

Tiny Furry Guests


Mugsy - foster kitten
Pedro - foster kitten
Tomorrow I'm picking up two tiny house guests... KITTENS!!
One is 6-7 weeks and in need of socializing (in other words, scared of people and hissy) and the other one is under 4 weeks and primarily needs feeding/growing. They are orphans without littermates. Kittens who don't have littermates when they're so young, have a hard time grasping boundaries because there isn't another kitten to say, "hey! stop that!" (in cat, of course) among other things that they learn from interacting with each other. This is why they're being fostered together. 


Cosette - foster kitten
I've done some fostering (the pics are of my previous foster kids) and there are certain things that every kitten foster needs. 
  1. A safe place - especially when you're dealing with tiny kittens, you want to make sure to minimize the chances of them getting into trouble. If you don't, you may end up with a kitty falling or ended up in the trashcan, or chewing/destroying things, or countless other things. My fosters will be going into the upstairs bathroom that's practically empty. I still had to move the toilet brush and cleaner to under the sink and put the trash on the back of the toilet, but there's less that they could get hurt with than if they stayed in my room.
  2. A place away from your pets - right now I have the bathroom door closed so my guys can get used to not being able to go in that room.
  3. A comfortable place - CAT BEDS!! ;)
  4. Food, water & litter pan (with litter) & toys
  5. lots of love, patience and time!! It also helps if you have others, say a mate or a friend, who can come in and help. And how do they help? By playing with kittens!! (Oh, the work I impose on those I love!)
I absolutely adore fostering! Though, I must confess, the first night or so is a bit exhausting since I tend to wake up every few hours with a need to check on the kittens.   >^..^<

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to foster some kittens for a few days once. Someone found a litter and brought it into the vet's office where I was working. They were going to try to find them homes, but in the meantime...I took them home to my bathtub. Had to keep my roommate's cat out of the bathroom (he was SO interested and kept hissing at me every time I came out), and feed the little ones. They ended up going home with one of the techs, who said they wreaked havoc on her curtains when they became TEEN kitties.

j9 said...

And that's why they go back to the shelter to be adopted before they hit their terrible teens! ;>

CSECooney said...

Zey are ze CAT'S PAJAMAS!!! So kee-yoot!