Friday, June 10, 2011

Birdies and Bunnies Beware!!


Chester - Lab/Beagle Mix

Chester is one of the dogs I walk five days a week. When I first started walking Chester in April, I was shadowing another walker. She told me he was really trying to be good, but he's still a puppy. Even now, at almost 8 months, he definitely has a lot of puppy energy. But he's trying! He's gotten a lot less mouthy and jumpy; will sit at the door as I put his leash on and wait patiently while I open the door. He's getting better about staying with me even when there are other dogs around.

But if there's a bunny.... Whoa Nelly!! If only he could get his collar off and chase without me holding him back, he'd... oh boy, he'd do stuff!! That bunny wouldn't know what hit!!
(This is what I imagine he thinks would happen...)
Bunny: "Was that a truck??"
Bunny's Friend: "Why no, my wittle bun-bun friend! That was a CHESTER!!"
Bunny: "Noooooooooooo! Not a CHESTER!!! Anything but that!!!"

I have a theory that Chester may just possibly have some pointer or some other sort of bird dog in him because when he sees a bird, or several birds, he freezes and... well, points. He then seems a bit confused, as if he didn't know why he did that, then he'll give one bark. By that time, the bird(s) are long gone.

Ferocious hunter Chester!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO Bunnies, Chester! Bunnies are our friends! :)

I saw a "wild" bunny in someone's yard the other day that looked domestic. It was sort of wild bunny-colored, but had a big head and ears and it came hopping over near me - which while bunnies never do. I couldn't see anywhere it could have escaped from (which is not to say that it didn't). I just hope it's ok and no Chesters (or any of those 14 yorkies up the block) have gotten to it!

j9 said...

It is possible that Chester really just wants to play with the bunnies. After all, when we play inside, he chases me quite ferociously. Not that I'm going to test it!!!