Sunday, March 25, 2012

Adventures in Dog/House Sitting

Zinc - Boston Terrier
As I went to take Zinc, the Boston Terrier, out to pee (which I do every 2 hours because he has health issues and the meds his own makes him thirsty & pee a lot) I see a Chocolate Lab wandering around in the front yard. Zinc sees him too and, while he's pretty mild mannered about other dogs, he's getting a bit riled up by this guy in his front yard. As friendly as that dog seems through a glass door, I don't know how he'll react to Zinc or vice versa. I can't take that chance.

"Sorry Zinc. I'm gonna have to take care of this before we head out." I rub his head and hope it doesn't take too long since I can tell that Zinc really has to go.

I head back inside, grab my spare leash and hope the dog's still nearby or has gone back home. I open the door and he's standing right there on the porch, wagging at me. He doesn't have a collar on, but I easily lasso him as he's super friendly.

Fortunately, it's a beautiful day so people are out on their lawns and, because the dog has gotten out before, they know which direction the dog came from. About a block away, a nice woman points to the house across the street where there are a bunch of kids in the yard and the gate is standing open.

"He gets out all the time. Make sure to talk to a parent." She advises. I smile and nod. My plan exactly.

The kids get their dad who is grateful & scolds the kids for leaving the gate open. He says the dog is an escape artist. I mention collar and tags which he brushes aside. I say something about him possibly getting hit as and he tells me that  the dog got hit by a car two years ago.

"You'd think he would've learned."

He shakes my hand and takes his dog back inside as the kids are chattering away.

There are things I want to say... But he's gone and I need to get back to Zinc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Irresponsible pet owners. There was a couple that lived on my grandma's street and their dog would leap the fence, or run out their front door and they'd just let him race up and down the street until someone ELSE brought him back. And then say that they'd "given up." It was so frustrating. I suppose people like that could be reported...

Also, it doesn't seem like a collar would totally break the bank. Might give them something to hold onto, too, when they're trying to catch the escape artist!

CSECooney said...

Oh! And such a nice-seeming doggy too!

j9 said...

They weren't trying to catch him 'cause he always just came home on his own. And he was soooooo nice!